Before you dream to be someone influential in the world of fashion, learning the basics of sewing is the elementary step. The better you master this step, the deeper you will be able to explore sewing.
So, to help you reach you’re your dreamy career destination, we introduce you to the very essentials of sewing. Stick to us till the end to boost own knowledge and experience.
Basics of sewing: Strengthen your sewing knowledge
- Select the right stitch – straight or zigzag as you prefer. Remember that straight stitch is for most of the seams while zigzag is used to prevent the fraying of the edges.
- Place the fabric pieces symmetrically just under the presser foot and lower the presser foot lever to down the foot.
- Hold the both thread ends and lay them flat to the forward of the machine.
- Press the foot pedal, not too hard obviously as you will lose the control over the sewing speed. As you press this pedal, the needle will start its main task – sewing.
- As sewing is going on, lay your hand flat on the fabric gently so that there is no curve over it. Keep in mind that a simple curve may deter a smooth passing of the fabric through the needle and the feed dog.
- Turn the hand wheel towards you to move the needle up. Then, take the presser foot up by the presser foot lever.
Sewing a seam
Unlike the simple sewing, sewing a seam is a bit difficult in which you are to be more focused on folding, holding and sewing. Here follows the steps:
- Fold your fabric along the edge to the extent you need. Cast your sharp eyes along the folding to see if the line is straight or curve. If a bit of curviness is noticed, make that right instantly.
- Keep pressing hard so that the folded part doesn’t rise up rather lay flat steadily.
- Place an end of the folded portion under the presser foot. Lower the foot using the presser foot lever. The end must have been pressed the end tightly against the feed dog.
- Use any of your hands to keep the fold held mildly against the sewing machine table. This will at the same time prevent the folding from being unfolded and the fabric from being displaced.
- Press the foot pedal gently. The machine will start its main task – sewing. You will notice stitches along the folded part.
- As the feed dog leads your fabric to forward, use the other hand to press the forwarded sewn part against the table or surface. Again, remember that your pressing must be mild just to make sure that the sewn part forwards properly.
- This is how the folded border will be sewn. In the end, raise the presser foot using the hand wheel and nip the thread.
Sewing a sharp corner
Sewing a corner is almost the same like sewing a seam although much more circumspection is required for it. However, check out the following steps to master over it:
- Lower the needle using the hand wheel all the way into the fabric exactly where a corner will be turned.
- Lift the presser foot and leave the needle down, in the fabric.
- Rotate the fabric to its new position, leaving the needle in it.
- In the end, lower the presser foot with the fabric in the new position and continue sewing.
In short, learning the basics of sewing you will be able to make more experiment. The more the experiments, the more the knowledge and experience you will secure. Eventually, the way of your success will be wide open.