Isn’t your sewing machine performing well now-a-days? Are you thinking of replacing the machine? Before you do so, you better replace the gears once. And, if you don’t know how to replace sewing machine gears, keep following us to learn in detail.
When to replace the sewing machine gears?
A quick replacement of the gears of your sewing machine is a must when you hardly can sew spontaneously. This happens when the needle and the feed teeth can’t function properly because of the eroded or broken gears.
How to replace sewing machine gears?
Even if you are a noob in dealing with a sewing machine, you will be able to replace the gears like a pro as soon as you scan the following guideline repeatedly. Let’s begin!
- Raise the sewing foot at first that you will find securely attached with a number of screws. To raise it you just need to turn the sewing wheel a bit.
- Unscrew the screws to unlock the foot and once it is unlocked, remove it. Remove the needle plate and bobbin respectively; if possible remove the entire bobbin case.
- Gears are normally found secured to the bottom of the sewing machines although it might not be the same for all the models. This is why you at first need to identify the correct positioning of the gears. To do so, you should go through the user manual; the details of your machine must be there.
Have you identified? Where are the gears – on the upper side or bottom? If they are on the upper side then no need to lengthen this step. But, if the gears are in the bottom, you should flip the machine. We mean, you should put the entire structure upside down.
- Okay, so the next step is a bit complicated if you are a mere beginner or have never done or seen closely. Let’s end the suspense here, the step is the disassembling of the machine.
For this we strongly recommend you to read the user manual well first to learn about the parts. You will learn well how one part is attached to another and how to unlock them professionally.
- As you unlock a part, keep the screws in a safe place to find them easily at the time of assembly.
- Unscrew the bottom cover to take it off and try to identify the staple shaft to which the gears are attached. Loose the screws secured to the shaft using a wrench or screwdriver.
- Is the shaft unscrewed? Well, now look for a tiny clip that might be attached to the shaft. Got that? Remove it safely to make the shaft movable.
- By this time, the shaft must be movable. Move it then towards right up. Keep taking it up gently until you find the gears free.
- Unscrew the faulty gear/s to lift that up. Set the new gear/s and screw that well.
- So, the main task is accomplished, now it’s time to reassemble the machine parts by simply reversing the whole process. That’s to say secure the part first that you unlocked at last. Keep going like this with steadiness making sure that you are screwing securely.
- To be further sure of your positioning of the parts, you should check the user manual. In the manual, there must be a detail of the positioning with a clearly marked picture.
- Plug the machine to the electric socket and power on. Operate the machine for a couple of minutes to determine the performance of the new gears. If, unfortunately, you feel like something is not working properly, you might have made a mistake in any of the steps of reassembly.
- Amid such a situation, if you have patience and time, you must reopen the machine to repeat the assembly process. Otherwise, you may seek assistance from a professional.
- Parts of a machine and their positioning vary from one model or brand to another. This is why you always should consult the user manual in detail rather than be confused.
- The number of gears is never definite for all the machines. On the basis of brand and model, it varies.
- In our opinion, it is always wise to replace all the gears even if not all are faulty. Doing so, you will help your workhorse perform better for you.
- Try to keep a track with a part and its screws. Otherwise, you may face a huge issue of unmatched screwing that will test your patience.
- Even after a successful reassembly, if the machine doesn’t perform satisfactorily, you better call in an expert. Your further exploration may cause further damage to any other part of it.
What do the sewing machine gears do?
Ans. Gears along with the cogs drive the feed teeth and needle that results in the movement of the fabric under the foot.
Do all the sewing machines have gears?
Ans. Yes, gears are the most common parts of sewing machines.
Are all the gears same in size and feature?
Ans. No, the design and size of the gears vary from brand to brand and model to model
Is it necessary to oil the gears?
Ans. Whenever you open the machine for any purpose, oil the gears making sure that you don’t flood the area with oil. Doing so, you will help them perform more smoothly making literally no sound.
How to disassemble and reassemble a sewing machine?
Ans. Although the process varies slightly from machine to machine yet for a general idea you may watch a tutorial on YouTube.
To sum up, with a sound knowledge on how to replace sewing machine gears you can save a handsome amount on technicians or a new sewing machine. The method isn’t that much tough and will be far easier if you have a clear idea of the pros and cons of your sewing machine from the user manual.