No matter how much sophisticated sewing machine you have or how much visionary power you own because none of these is going to benefit you fully unless and until you know well how to set up a sewing machine appropriately. But, setting up a sewing machine properly isn’t that much easy as it requires you to be aware of a bunch of things.
To help you get a vivid overview of the entire matter, today, this article presents you with a step by step guideline of setting up a sewing machine with maximum perfection.
How to Set Up a Sewing Machine: A guideline extracted from the pros
For your better understanding, we have made two different segments. The first one introduces you to the vital parts of a sewing machine and the later segment depicts different processes. We guarantee your mastery over setting up your sewing machine after going through the entire writing. Here we go!
Segment 1: The vital parts of a sewing machine
Generally, a pedal denotes the ‘foot pedal’, which assists you to have control over the speed rate of the presser foot and needle.
Unlike foot pedal, a hand wheel is present in both the classic and digital sewing machine. You can find it on the right side of any machine. Using it, you can have control over the needle manually.
It is a small size box-like material where you will store the thread through a winding process. At the time of sewing bobbin supplies the thread.
The most digital sewing machine has this part on the front with some buttons so that you can select the stitch and change the machine settings easily.
Just like the LCD display,you can find it in modern sewing machines widely for you better observation of the stitches.
Stitch lengthening and widening button
You can always find the lengthening button on the front of a sewing machine while the widening on the above.
Segment 2: Different processes
We think we are successful in introducing you to the vital sewing machine parts. Now it is time yo take you to the most important segment, which is: learning about different processes. The knowledge will enable you to make your sewing machine ready for sewing.
However, there are basically three major processes that follow here with clarification separately.
Bobbin threading is not that much tough task to do. To do it successfully, what you need to do is to pass the thread via tension controls and necessary guides. Here is our dedicated article on how to set up sewing machine bobbin.
By doing so, you can make sure of smooth and even wound of the bobbin. This assurance ensures that the stitches are formed properly. Let’s explain the entire process for you step by step.
- Firstly, place a thread spool tightly on the pin of the spool.
- Secondly, pass the thread through a thread guide, which you can find just near to the pin of the spool. Now, you must guide the thread through the guide.
- The guide may appear to be a disk or button. Your thread must go between or under it for holding tension on it before being connected to the bobbin.
- Then, thread the bobbin hole if you find one on any side of it. Now, you will find the thread tail just outside of bobbin.
- However, in case you don’t find any hole in the bobbin then place it in the last part of the winding area and wind it with thread for a number of times. Don’t forget leaving sufficient tail of the thread, otherwise, you won’t be able to hold it while winding is going on. You can simply cut it off after the bobbin filling begins or let it go to be wound on the bobbin. It is better to leave less amount of tail to avoid trouble.
Once you complete bobbin threading successfully, now you must turn to thread the machine. However, before you jump to threading the machine, it is better to keep the power off. Here follows the guideline step by step.
- Firstly, you must pass the thread around the upper thread guide.
- Now, loop it down and around the guide, which is U shaped and placed on the front of the machine. Here, you must ensure that the thread taut is engaged with the tension discs.
- Next, take the take-up lever up to the highest position simply turning the hand wheel and pull the thread around or through it so that the thread is secured in the lever’s eye. Now, it is time to drag the thread down towards the needle area.
- After that, you are to feed the thread via the last thread guide/s. Finally, you can thread the needle.
Stitch selection is also an important process that specifies the design and quality of the stitches. You cannot simply select any one randomly and start sewing. In most of the modern power sewing machine, you can find a printed stitch chart and an LCD screen with buttons.
- In the chart, you can introduce yourself to a number of known or unknown stitches. You can go through the entire chart and decide which one will be perfect for today’s sewing.
- Once you select a stitch mentally, you must move towards the LCD screen where you can see the stitch number and can change that using the buttons given below or beside the display.
- Just set your stitch number and be sure of it observing the monitor. Lastly, lock your number and get ready for sewing.
So, here ends the guideline of how to set up a sewing machine. We guarantee that following it thoroughly you can get your machine completely set before jumping into any serious project. The entire thing may seem to be a bit mess to you but then we assure your versatility in it with couple of scanning with 100% attention and passion.