We know there are millions who want to evolve career as a sewist. If you are one of them then congratulations, you are just at the right place as the following write up introduces you to how to sew with a sewing machine appropriately.
As a mere learner, you mustn’t miss any of the following segments. Doing so, you will leave your learning incomplete that will make suffer in the long run.
How to Sew with a Sewing Machine: Learn with us
Sewing with a sewing machine is always a challenging job as it requires you to complete several pre-sewing tasks very meticulously. Only then you can jump to the real sewing part.
However, for you, here follow each of those pre-sewing tasks and then the sewing procedure in detail. Let’s start!
- Set the needle in a steady position and set a thread spool onto the spool pin
- Passing the thread via bottom and upper slot of thread guide respectively
- Wind the thread on all sides of tension disc
- Inset the end of thread into the tiny dent of the bobbin’s rim.
- Activate the machine and keep it running until the bobbin is filled with thread or the winding stops by itself
- After that cut the thread off and get the bobbin from the winding pin
- Finally, trim the thread’s end from the bobbin’s exterior part
Threading the needle:
- Inactivate the machine and set the needle at the highest place
- Lift the presser foot
- Place the thread-spool onto the spool pin and glide the pin’s lid over spool rim
- Lift the pin and place thread on it
- Insert the thread into the bottom and upper slot respectively.
- Pass the thread through the first and second guide of thread
- Fix thread to the upper guide of thread
- Bring the thread down and take it all around the tension system
- Hold the spool of thread lightly with right hand and use left hand to raise the thread up
- Inset thread into the threading channel
- Now, at first thread the eye of the take-up lever and then the needle.
Note: This is to keep you informed that both the winding and threading process have been adopted from that of Brother sewing machine. In case, you own machine of another brand, kindly consult your manual although you will experience not much difference in the procedures.
- It is the easiest task of all the pre-tasks. To do this, you first need to check the stitches available in your machine and available stitch length. Once checking is done and stitch is selected in mind, it’s time to lock the stitch in the machine.
- You can lock it either with LCD screen and push buttons or turn dial. It depends on the model of your sewing machine. However, in case, your machine features a turn dial, just turn it right or left to match the number of your stitch.
- But, if the machine offers you LCD monitor and push buttons, push the buttons and keep an eye on the monitor to lock your stitch. For better understanding of it, you may consult the manual.
You have a nice sewing machine you don’t know how to sew with a sewing machine is not a good idea. Before we begin to present you with the complete sewing procedure with a sewing machine, it is important to keep you informed that you should never jump into sewing with a serious project. Instead, as a learner, you are highly recommended to start your sewing with a simple sewing project that doesn’t have any importance to anyone. However, let’s begin!
Decide the project, choose fabric and diagram
As we have mentioned earlier, you must take a simple project at first. So, decide wisely which project seems to be easier to you. Then, choose the fabric with which you feel comfortable the most. For example, many experienced fashionista let alone learners don’t find it easy to deal with silky fabrics.
Next, if you want, you may purchase a designed diagram to have your fabric cut easily. If you feel like you yourself are able to cut the fabric meticulously then it’s okay, you can go on without diagram.
For this, you need to have a sharp scissors and a lot of concentration. Have a tight grip of the scissors and place the fabric upon a hard ground. Make sure that no wind or air makes it shiver. Once these are done, start cutting the fabric according to the design that you have in your imagination or in the designed diagram. The cutting pieces are known as patterns.
This is time to attach the piece of patterns according to the design by stitching. For this, you should sew the patterns by turn. For example, at first, you should place two pieces of patterns under the needle of sewing machine.
Then turn the lever that attaches the presser foot to the feed dogs. This will fix the patterns to the machine. Here stitch length is important.
After that, start the engine and you will find your patterns being stitched. Place your two hands on the patterns lightly so that stitching line remains straight as you want.
When the stitching is done, disrupt the stitched fabric from the machine cutting off the thread. Before that you mustn’t forget to reverse stitch the fore and end part of the patterns. This will secure the sewing highly.
Repeat the similar procedure for the remaining patterns as well.
Fix the patterns altogether
After the patterns are stitched, this is the time you should fix all the patterns together as per the design. Here you need to be highly concentrated and have patience; otherwise, you may disobey the main design unintentionally.
After the fixing of all the stitched patterns together, we believe, you will have your desired project done successfully.
In the end, we believe that now you have enough idea regarding how to sew with a sewing machine. In case, you still have confusion kindly go through our writing for several times. Most importantly, don’t keep sitting idly once you are done with our writing. Instead, try to practice by yourself as much as possible because it is practice that makes everything perfect.