Generally speaking, using a sewing machine is quite a tough task that requires much patience, perseverance, and obviously time. And amid this, if you don’t know how to thread a sewing machine properly, the task grows further difficult.
As it is a vital issue, we made an extensive research to make a step by step tutorial of threading a sewing machine effortlessly. What did we find in the research? Well, the output follows below for your assistance. Hope, it will be a great help to you. Let’s begin!
How to thread a sewing machine?
Before we introduce you to the easy step by step tutorial, we feel a dire necessity of introducing you to some pre-preparation. This pre-preparation will make the entire process easier and effective.
- At first, we recommend you to go through the instructional book of the machine. It is certain that in it you will find the diagrammatic instructions of threading your type of machine. However, if you don’t have one, or lost it, you better look for the instructions online.
- Now, it is time to pick the perfect color thread that goes with your material. After choosing the color, fill the bobbin. Before you fill it, we suggest you learn the process of winding a bobbin effectively. You can learn it either from YouTube or from any instructional DVD, or book.
- Besides, choosing the perfect color, we strongly suggest you to go for better quality or the best quality thread for having a satisfactory output. For this, you may pick Gutterman or Rasant thread. You may pick some low-quality thread, but that may make your attempts to have a fabulous outcome vain.
- Moreover, before you jump to the main task, you must make sure that neither of the parts related to threading process is faulty. You should even apply some sewing machine oil to the specific hole so that you can have fast feedback while threading is going on.
Easy guideline of threading your machine
- Step 1: Place the thread car on the spool that you can find at the top of your machine. The spool might be horizontal or vertical, which is decided by the manufacturer. However, this doesn’t make any difference in the case of performance.
- Step 2: Just beside the spool, there is a thread guide. What you need to do is to drag the thread through this guide. Make sure that your pulling is quite tight, but not excessively enough to be the reason for the thread’s being torn.
- Step 3: Keep pulling the thread down. When it is close to the tension disc below, simply loop the thread around it.
- Step 4: A second thread guide is there just below and on the left side of the first one. Drag the thread up along the tension disc and pull it via the second guide. Now, there is most probably a “U” shaped thread. But, the shape may vary according to the variation of the machine company.
- Step 5: Pull the thread down straightly to a hook found in the needle area. After reaching it, use the hook as the holder of the thread.
- Step 6: After that, you must thread the needle. The threading must be from front to back. However, if you are using a modern sewing machine, there is much chance of having a lever for automated needle threading. In that case, just touch it and the machine will automatically thread the needle.
- Step 7: Next, you are to load the wound bobbin according to the type of the bobbin or the instructional book. Now, turn the big wheel towards you. You can find the wheel on the right side of you. This allows the needle to hook up the top and the bottom thread.
- Step 8: Pull out the thread from the wound bobbin and place it to the highest point of the machine plate. Can’t recognize the place? Well, we are talking about that particular place the needle goes down and up.
- Step 9: Later on, you should sort out the bobbin thread’s loop, which is so far being caught. Pull the loop to the peak.
- Step 10: Now, drag back both of the threads. While doing it, make sure that the threads are running freely when you are pulling them.
- Step 11: In the final phase, we recommend you not to start sewing at once. Instead, you should take a snip of any material and observe the tension and stitches.
With this, the tutorial comes to an end. But, there is something more that we would like to present for you as additional tips.
The significance of proper threading
While going through the tutorial and tips part, a question may arise in you: what is the significance of proper threading? To quench your thirst here follows our simple answer:
- Proper threading produces both attractive and secure stitches. Such stitches ensure the durability of the sewing and also attract customers.
- Proper threading provides you with sewing thread evenly. This eventually reduces the sewing hour deducting the unexpected hassles that often arises from faulty threading.
- A faulty threading can rarely cause harm to your sewing machine, so you better stay out of the probable risk through secure threading.
So, these were all about the significance of proper threading. The ultimate outcome o it is-you will have great sewing achievement satisfying the clients to the utmost.
Besides you learn how to thread a sewing machine properly, there are a number of things that you should ensure to get the best out of the machine.
- Keep your machine clean and don’t forget oiling it before you use it.
- Never start sewing fast initially. Instead, sew slowly and monitor the threading.
- Initially start sewing with the scraps of any material
- Always use superior quality thread otherwise, excessive lint will be produced in the machine
- Adjust the tension abruptly if the stitching is not even
- Regularly change the needle of the machine
Finally, it can be said that threading a sewing machine in the correct way is no less than a mammoth task. But, if you follow our given tutorial- how to thread a sewing machine rigorously then you will have no chance of meeting any slight complexity. In case, you find any point to be complicated, kindly go through the section for several times. We guarantee there will be no trace of confusion in you.
You may also like: