A mini sewing machine might be small in size yet it’s effectiveness is not less than a bulk machine. It can accomplish almost every project with 100% perfection and professionalism only if you have a sound knowledge on how to use a mini sewing machine.
Should I learn the way of using a mini sewing machine as I already know how to use a sewing machine? Yes, you need to learn even after being an expert user of bulk industrial sewing machine. Because the structure and mechanism of the two differ a lot.
However, today, we’re here to present you with a complete manual of using a mini sewing machine. We guarantee, this will come to your work in many ways.
How to use a mini sewing machine?
Using a mini sewing machine requires you to be an expert with different parts of the machine. You must be well aware of its threading, bobbin winding and testing of stitching and speed. Let’s clarify the steps to you in a simple way.
Assemble the machine parts
Usually, a mini sewing machine comes assembled. But, if unfortunately, your one doesn’t come assembled except the foot pedal and power cord, then assemble the parts carefully.
Don’t be in a rush and harsh while assembling. Then, you may cause damage subconsciously to any of the parts and leave the machine unfit.
This is why before jumping to the assemble the parts, it’s always wise to scan the manual with quality time.
Threading is a step that you must pass with every kind and brand of sewing machine. However, to thread the mini sewing machine you must follow the following instructions successively keeping sharp eyes. Otherwise, your threading might remain faulty that will ruin your entire sewing project.
- Place the thread spool upon the pin that is fixed for thread spool. Can’t identify it? Check the manual.
- Take the thread end between any of the hands’ thumb and index finger. Pass the end through the thread guides. You will find the guides numbered differently that depends upon the machine’s manufacturer.
Thread the needle
Before you start threading the needle manually, check if there is any automatic needle threader in the machine.
If it’s there then congratulations, you don’t need to go through the following process. Instead, check the user manual and learn how to thread with an automatic threader.
However, here we go!
- Hold the thread end securely. Have a sharp focus on the needle’s eye and try to insert the thread end via this hole.
- You may not be successful in one attempt as the needle hole is super tiny. Don’t lose patience and keep trying.
Winding the bobbin and its loading
Do you know how stitches are formed upon your fabric? In case you don’t know – the needle thread, shortly known as the upper thread, makes a bond with the bobbin thread (lower thread). This bond actually creates the stitch.
Hence proven that the thread of the bobbin is equally important like the needle thread. That is to say, winding the bobbin in an appropriate way is highly important for having quality stitch.
So, how can you wind the bobbin of your mini sewing machine appropriately? Kind keep following us!
- Make sure that bobbin is loaded with thread from all sides and evenly.
- To achieve the first step, simply bind a bit amount of thread onto the bobbin.
- Pass a thin rod via the main hole of the bobbin. Hold one end of the rod with right hand while having a secure grip of the thread.
- Keep the bobbin edge touched onto the hand wheel and switch on the machine. Run the machine slowly. This will load the bobbin with thread automatically.
- When the bobbin is loaded with sufficient thread, stop the machine, take out the rod.
- Now, load the wound bobbin into its holder. Turn the hand wheel a bit using hand. This will allow the needle to take up the bobbin thread and create a bond.
- Close the bobbin cover to finish the winding process.
Test the stitching
Keep in mind that it is never wise to jump to the main part of stitching just after the completion of threading and winding. Instead, you must take a few more minutes to check if anything has gone wrong so far. How can you do that?
Simply take a small piece of unnecessary rag and start sewing all over it. Stop sewing and check whether the stitches are of good quality or not. Are those after your mind? Okay, then you may proceed to original sewing task.
Fix the speed
Although many mini sewing machines feature only one speed yet your one might not be of that kind. If your machine offers you multiple speed options then before starting the project you should fix the speed.
To fix the speed, you should again have a rag and sew all over it with different speeds. While sewing, you must decide instantly which speed is going to be rocking with your project.
Have you completed all of the steps discussed above? Well, then you’re now completely ready for starting the main stitching part.
Here, one vital thing to keep in mind is that you must place the machine upon a flat and tough surface. Otherwise, your machine will shake and vibrate and ultimately cause poor quality production.
Remember that an expert and pro level fashionista is that person who is compatible with all types of machines and sewing. So, to be such a sewist, you have no alternative to learn how to use a mini sewing machine. Otherwise, you will live as the fashionista of average quality that might not be and mustn’t be your dream.